On the road


Thursday, April 19, 2018


Here we are, in our van on the way to Fort Portal.  This is a trip of approx. 300 km, 6 hour drive….  But before that, a bit more about yesterday…

Since we had an indirect flight Brussels-Kigali-Entebbe, I was forced to undergo take off and landing twice.  The flight Kigali-Entebbe was only 30 minutes, but it seemed like 2 hours.  Too much turbulence for me so I was so happy we landed safe in Entebbe.   When we were going to customs, Martine told me:”now your holiday has stated Heidi.”  I think my smile was the correct answer.

Getting out of the airport took us some time.  Although some of us applied for an electronic visa, we needed to queue for some time.  We thought electronic  was going to be faster.  Not! Our colleagues who needed to apply upon arrival, were admitted to the country much faster. 

Luckily, our driver was still waiting for us although we were almost the last persons to leave the airport.  By the time we arrived at the motel, it was already 23.30.  Still some time for a quick drink in the lobby before going to sleep. 

Very early this morning, a rooster needed to wake us, I think 😊  As well as the loud music to announce morning prayer…  Welcome to Uganda, this means.  I guess…

And then he arrived at the hotel, Ibs, our driver.  It was good to see him back again.  He secured safe travels last year, and I am sure he will do the same this time.  
 
Even I am not in the country for more than 12 hours yet, I already:
  • ·         Ate my first fruit, not to compare with the fruit in Belgium.  Passionfruit, so sweet! 
  • ·         Ate my first Spanish omelette: a white omelette (all eggs are white, unless you pay more) with some herbs and vegetables
  • ·         Drank my café latte, made with only hot milk and Nescafé
  • ·         Had “tam tam chips” as lunch, since there was nothing much to choose at the gaz station on the road
  • ·         Ate banana’s, only a finger tall, but so good! 

And here I am now, in our van, with 5 colleagues, telling stories, laughing, listening, being in silence, enjoying the beautiful views whilst on our way.

This evening, we will have dinner at the “Dutchess”.  This restaurant was adviced by colleagues who went there last year.  I just had a look at their menu.  They serve very nice meals, pizza’s, vegetarian dishes, but also…  Bitterballen, Broodje Kroket, Speculaas…  Is this really where we are going?  Being in Uganda.  I am really curious….



Thursday evening – 22.30h

Before going to bed, just want to make some extra time to finish the story of today.  I already know this story will not be published before tomorrow evening since there is no WIFI at the moment.  Help!!!!

So, I left you this afternoon in the car….  Our way to Fort Portal took us about 6 hours.  It was a beautiful trip with views I cannot describe.  Sometimes the roads were excellent, sometimes, we only had potholes or only a small piece of road.  We are so lucky to have a good driver as Ibs. 

We had lunch “on the street” as Ibs calls it.  A small restaurant at the side of the road.  We were able to choose from some typical Ugandan meals.  I only took rice, juice of a chicken stew and a sauce of G-nuts.  To be honest, I thought it would taste like nothing, but oh-my-god, this was so good!  And after all, we paid 11€ in total (!!!!) for 7 persons.  Ok, drinks not included 😊

Back on the road, we even had the chance to meet some baboons.  They were just sitting there, along the road.  Wow!  And thee plants in shades of green I have never seen before...

When we arrived in Fort Portal, we immediately went to our hotel, the Koi Koi.  When someone tells you “room with a view”, he/she must be talking about the Koi Koi.  We have a round house, with 4 bedrooms.  And every rooms has a view you cannot describe.  It is a pity we are only here to spend the night.

After check-in at the hotel, we did a great hike at some Crater Lakes.  Although the hike was only 2 hours, we saw wonderful nature, crater lakes and crater depressions, local people curious about the “mzungu”, and did some climbing (after which we needed to take some rest!).  It felt so good to be active after a complete day in the plane and a 6 hours drive in the car.  I hope that tomorrow morning I still feel the same about it…  😊

And then finally time for dinner.  We all were so hungry so we went to “Dutchess”.  And of course, we ate some “Bitterballen”.  It was the first time for Ibs, our driver, but since we have 2 Dutch colleagues, they absolutely wanted to introduce the Bitterballen to him.  Unfortunately, we needed to wait rather long for our food, but it was worth it.  Again, we ate a meal for a very low price (10€ per person) and this was of good quality. 

As everyone of us was very tired, we decided to go to the hotel and get some sleep…  Tomorrow will be an early day – 6.30 for breakfast – 7.00 to leave for the Chimpansee walk….

Talk to you later! 
Good night!



Comments

Popular Posts